Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pickwick's (and my) Farewell Speech


Saturday night's sky reflected on the Thames:


One of my favorite Dickens characters, the endearingly bumbling Mr. Pickwick, after two years of travel, comes to the end of his adventures and addresses his friends. Here is his speech:

"I shall never regret," said Mr. Pickwick in a low voice, "I shall never regret having devoted the greater part of two years to mixing with different varieties and shades of human character, frivolous as my pursuit of novelty may have appeared to many. Nearly the whole of my previous life having been devoted to business and the pursuit of wealth, numerous scenes of which I had no previous conception have dawned upon me--I hope to the enlargement of my mind, and the improvement of my understanding. If I have done but little good, I trust I have done less harm, and that none of my adventures will be other than a source of amusing and pleasant recollection to me in the decline of life. God bless you all!"

Neither shall we ever regret devoting these last few months to England Semester. Through meeting varieties and shades of human character as well as seeing scenes of which we had no previous conception, this trip, we hope, has enlarged our minds and improved our understanding. 

As for the Babes Blog, if we have done but little good, I trust we have done less harm, and we hope that none of our adventures have been other than a source of amusement and pleasure for you as they will be for us for many years to come. God Bless.



Here are some last pictures from me:

Stephanie and I sipped our last breakfast tea at Notes (a favorite coffee shop near our hotel) and, on a whim, decided to ride the London Eye for our last morning in London.


     Gloriously sunny last London morning

No comments:

Post a Comment