Thursday, September 13, 2012

Some Great Things About London


1) People are generally very fit here.

I have two potential explanations for the accuracy of this observation. First, the availability of cheap, fresh “fast food.” Fruit bowls, salads, and sandwiches, soup, etc. The only junk food restaurants they have are McDonald’s, KFC, Pizza Hut… aka American chains. Hah. A second reason for the dearth of obesity- we are on an island. If the people were too fat, we would all sink. Simple as that.

2) There is a vast network of public transportation.

So if I lived here I wouldn’t have to drive? Sold. The people of London know that the Tube and the bus systems are the best-kept secrets of the city. I know this because the quickest and easiest way to travel on the public systems is to purchase a re-loadable Oyster Card. What does the Oyster lead to? The Tube, the ‘Pearl Of London,’ as I’ve heard some say.* Also the buses are red, my favorite color.

*I have never heard anyone actually say this. But, if London cares to use the Pearl metaphor as a marketing slogan for the Tube, along with the catchphrase “It’s Bright, Clean, and Shiny” they can contact me.

3) Little kids ride around on scooters instead of walking or riding a bike.

Yesterday I was walking around our neighborhood in the afternoon. School had just gotten out. Dozens of kids whizzed past me on their scooters. One little guy did not look old enough or big enough to be scooter-certified, but since his school uniform consisted of a tweed blazer, tie, and trousers and he was probably 4 years old I was glad to see him have a little fun after school.

4) The museums are free.

As you saw from Annie’s last post, we have been exposed to great works of art in the past couple days during our stay- Medieval stained glass, a collection of Raphael paintings, Rodin sculptures, a large gem collection, The Giant Fetus. I could go on and on! Hopefully there will be many more educational museum trips to come, and no more fetuses.

This post serves two purposes: to educate you about some exciting cultural differences, and to help my parents begin to understand why I will be living here and not in the US in a few years. Toodles!

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting observations on the overall condition of the Brits, but what of their teeth? And where did this "living in the UK" decision come from -- and did you consider their tax rates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just because you think that America trumps all, don't be jealous that i've chosen a more luxurious and exciting place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think living in London would be Faaaabulous. We can all come stay with you :).

    ReplyDelete