Sunday, August 12, 2012

If Elizabeth Barrett Browning kept a blog...


I chose Aurora Leigh for my independent Victorian reading selection.  Author (authoress?) Elizabeth Barrett Browning begins with these lines:

Of writing many books there is no end; 
And I who have written much in prose and verse 
For others' uses, will write now for mine, 
Will write my story for my better self, 
As when you paint your portrait for a friend, 
Who keeps it in a drawer and looks at it 
Long after he has ceased to love you, just 
To hold together what he was and is.

If I anticipated any of us being half so eloquent ever in life, I would say that this could sum up our blog.  Since Elizabeth is the only one who could live up to those stanzas, I'll just say that it's a nice, romantic picture of something kind of like a blog. (And if nice, romantic pictures deserve to be anywhere, they deserve to be in a blog about England Semester. obviously.) 

We leave in two weeks for those little islands.  I could hardly be more stressed.  Right now my life looks like “Oh, I’m twenty, and I still don’t know the name of my parents insurance (and I am on their plan, right?).”  This seems to be a gaping hole in my life which I have effectively ignored.  One of the many.  I’m going to be honest: I hate logistics.  I’d rather read Aurora Leigh ten times over than deal with getting a new passport.  Unfortunately, one seems more practical than the other.  Hmm.  Responsibility: I love to complain about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment