Saturday, August 25, 2012

Jude Law and a Semester Abroad



"...I’ll walk where my own nature would be leading:
    It vexes me to choose another guide:
Where the gray flocks in ferny glens are feeding;
    Where the wild wind blows on the mountain side.

What have those lonely mountains worth revealing?
    More glory and more grief than I can tell:
The earth that wakes one human heart to feeling
    Can centre both the worlds of Heaven and Hell."

                            -from "Stanza" by Emily Bronte

The international terminal at Logan Airport is a twilight zone. I feel as if I'm already abroad: foreign languages and strange accents, a checkerboard of skin tones. The duty free stores remind me of the limbo this area is, a semi-lawless, neutral place.  Past US security but not through UK customs. A no-man's or, perhaps, and every-man's land. And in the midst of it all you'll find me, poised and ready to leap across the pond.

Tomorrow morning I will wake up in London (and soon after take a quick flight to Edinburgh where I will finally reunite with my FRIENDS!!). I have little idea of what awaits me there. I intentionally have not thought much about what it will be like and tried not to set any expectations. This way, I won't be disappointed (tired and frustrated at times, certainly, but not disappointed). I will make good on whatever comes, walking with my own nature as my guide. Who knows what's up in those mountains? A world that wakes the human heart to feeling, a bit of Heaven, a bit of Hell. For now, it's just beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment